Monday, October 19, 2009

No Bias, No Bull... maybe one day

Work was great today. Of coarse I had to gather press clips for the office and that is always fun. As a future journalist, to me, the biggest story of the day was about the Obama administration's shun of Fox News. Most people wouldn't pay this story any attention; But I found it rather interesting.

Every morning, I search many newspapers to choose stories that are relevant to the Congresswoman and the staff. Once I compile the news clips, I browse many extremely conservative websites to get the other side of the spectrum. Although I'm not very conservative, sometimes there are interesting stories that give me incite to how other people feel.

Well today the heat was on Fox News. Though Obama's blatant dis against Fox News is old news, after no one from the administration appeared on Fox's Sunday News Show this week and David Axelrod stated that Fox was "not really a news station," the issue was pushed back to the forefront; and it became a heated topic among commentators, bloggers and even other "real" news stations.



While reading the different opinions, either from extreme conservatives, liberals or moderates, I begin to research Fox news and some of their controversial news stories. I also researched CNN (my favorite cable news network) and looked at their stories, commentators and bloggers also. On Fox news, I saw absolutely NOTHING positive about President Obama his administration. But on CNN, there were both negative and positive things about B. Though the good out weighted the bad, at least CNN tried to show both sides.

As the day went on, I continued to check different sites for breaking news and I just so happened to come across this title-- "Obama Aid: 'We Controlled' the Press. As soon as I looked at that, I said, "Uh-oh, some one's put their foot in their mouth." I was afraid of how this "quote" would effect the administration. But I, being the inquisitive (or nosey...whichever you prefer) person that I am, had to read the ENTIRE article. I couldn't just believe what Fox News said. I had to RESEARCH (Ms. Donna Barnes' favorite word).

The article was referring to a statement made by The White House's Communication Director, Anita Dunn. And Fox News, just like most media outlets, played on words. Dunn said, "Very rarely did we communicate through the press anything that we didn't absolutely control. A huge part of our press strategy was focused on making the media cover what Obama was actually saying as opposed to why the campaign was saying it." To me, that's bias reporting. The title was misleading. Unless someone actually reads the article, they would believe that the Obama administration "CONTROLED" the media during the election.

To me, this is article was not fair and balanced. It was just another way to get people excited over nothing. As of now, the article has over 600 comments.

Is there a such thing as unbiased news now days?

No matter how hard journalist try to evolve into immortal creatures when reporting stories, journalists are still human. We have feeling, emotions, ideas and like men, we are ALWAYS right.
When I'm writing, I try to be as objective as possible. I realize that if I want to get anywhere in the cut-throat world of journalism, I HAVE to ALWAYS remain neutral, even when it comes to my boy B. Now if only I could get my other journalist to get this concept, the journalism world would be PERFECT!

No comments:

Post a Comment