Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year...New Chapter ;)

Blog Family,

I haven't been here in a while. I must say that I have missed you guys but I've been extremely busy. For some reason, I have not sat down yet. I left DC and immediately came to Little Rock to work for NRCS. I'm also in the process of securing a weekend internship with one of the news stations here. So please keep sending your prayers my way.

As far as my life, I have been reading a ton of books lately. I read The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin last week and I'm almost done with The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison.

The Fire Next Time was a wonderful book. It addressed the blatant issues concerning religion and race in America. Though I had to keep iPod dictionary application nearby, once I finished reading, I felt more intelligent. I even looked at things in a different light.

While I haven't finished reading The Bluest Eye I think that it's a book that every woman should read, especially black women that struggle with defining their own beauty. This book shows how our idea of "beauty" can often time lead to our demise. But I will get more ‘in-depth’ after I finish reading.

As soon as I finish this The Bluest Eye, I have a book that includes all of Zora Hurston's short stories. I absolutely love Hurston. I'm sure it won't take me any time to finish reading her stories. Speaking of Hurston, I was looking on UAPB's website and I read that the Theatre Department will perform "Spunk," also by "my girl" Zora. And guess what? I'm going to try out for the play. It may be fun. And since I'm already “overly dramatic,” as my best friend, Chasity Farver, says, I just may make the cut.

Well folks, I must get back to my life. I will be back tomorrow.

"B"

No comments:

Post a Comment