Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sad day for me...

Work was the same today. Of coarse, I had to answer phones, organize news clips and sort mail; but today was also a sad one for me. As I was gathering news clips for the Congresswoman, I came across shocking news. The legendary Ebony Magazine is looking for a buyer. YES, you've heard right Ebony Magazine. Yes, the Ebony that is owned by Johnson Publishing, which also produces every one's favorite, Jet Magazine.

Ebony is a 64 year-old black magazine that was founded by John Johnson, an Arkansan. Gleeve Grice, a UAPB alum, was a photographer for this magazine. (That's just a little FYI for my UAPBers.) Ebony has been in my home for decades. It has sustained through the Civil Rights movement all the way to the election of America's first black president.

But the prized magazine is now facing tremendous financial problems. To ease their financial woes, they had to cancel the Ebony Fashion Fairs that travel throughout the country.

Now some people may not know what this means, so let me break it down. Unlike Essence and BET, Ebony is still a black-owned magazine. It has not been sold to Viacom, Time Warner or any other big publishing company. It is still at the hands black publishers that don't have to compromise their integrity for the sake of money.

As I was thinking about Ebony and it's role in the black community, I wondered how Ebony would change if it were sold to a company like Viacom.

Let's take BET for instance. Before Viacom, BET had Teen Summit, BET News, Caribbean Rhythms, the "OLD" Rap City, and even Midnight Love. Back then, BET had substance. It actually delivered a message to its young audience. Now, BET is so bombarded with negative images of black people. They even cancelled BET News but added Hot Ghetto Mess, Hell Date and many other embarrassing shows. BET is so disrespectful. I have a 60 second rule on all of their shows.

So what will happen if Ebony is sold? Will it prove to be a good business decision, but jeopardize everything that Mr. Johnson fought so hard establish? How will it change our community?

I love getting Ebony Magazines every month and looking at the ads of beautiful black people. I like reading success stories about my people. I LOVE reading a magazine that represents me.

To me, losing Ebony would be like losing a key component of my culture. I'm not sure what I can do to try to save the magazine; but maybe if more people know about what's happening to our magazine, more people will be willing to help keep it alive by extending their subscription or buying one when they go to the grocery store. Because Ebony is the LAST of a DEAD BREED.

3 comments:

  1. I like the info, Byrhonda. You actually remind me of Hill Harper. You should read his book "Letters to a Young Sister." It was actually pretty good and a lot of the things you are doing or implementing about our culture, Mr. Harper did the same thing just from a different stand point. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do miss the old bet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when Ebony was a huge magazine. When they changed, to the size it is today, that took some getting used to for me. Ebony is like an old friend of the family. I look forward to each issue month after month.

    Hopefully, Ebony's mission, and purpose, along with Mr. Johnson's legacy will continue to be fulfilled, no matter who buys it.

    ReplyDelete